Adventure Starts Here

Friday, August 10, 2012

Growing a Green Thumb

I have always enjoyed dabbling in new hobbies, trying new things, and finding new passions. But no matter how strong my desire to learn a new trade may be, it is generally out lived by my short attention span. My craft box loaded with scrapbooking materials, a sewing machine stacked with fabric, and the endless amounts of un-opened cook books can testify to my lack of follow through.
Though I am told I am a highly creative individual, and this is often a strong suit, it can simultaneously be a down fall as well. My big picture mentality with personal ventures can often lead to a massive dose of impatience on my part. So you could imagine my surprise when I found a hobby I not only enjoyed enough to execute, but actually committed myself to!
In short, I have a green thumb. Okay, maybe not a full thumb. Probably more of a nubbie, but nonetheless, my nubbie is a lovely shade of green.
Through my adventure of homeownership over the past year, landscaping has taken a large precedence in my "me time"... And I have loved every minute of it. I find myself researching plants late at night, frequenting nurseries on weekends, and spending my days up to my elbows in dirt. And though I have killed my fair share of greens, I have successfully planted over a hundred leafy and flowered friends. In my mind, it is all worth it, because the end result is absolutely glorious. There is no better summer feeling than kicking back with a blended cocktail and enjoying the fruits of my dirty floral labor. And while I have a long way to go before I hit master gardener level, I know this is one colorful hobby that, like my lipstick, isn't fading away any time soon.
Below are some of my trophies of achievement. In return, I would love to hear your sunny garden tales too!

No comments:

Post a Comment